A letter from National Regent Olga Samaniego
To my Catholic Daughter sisters,
I am writing to you from New York City headquarters where National Regent-Elect Sherry Nilles and I have been meeting. Recently, we held a National Board meeting in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It would be dishonest if I said that I haven’t been the least concerned about the travel from El Paso to Albuquerque to Mississippi for the institution of a new court, and then to New York City. Travel is worrisome, however, there is a lot of business to be taken care of for the Catholic Daughters, and we have taken all safety precautions in terms of hand washings, sanitizing, not putting hands to face, and overall cleanliness.
We’ve had many questions from members regarding whether they should hold monthly meetings and court charitable activities. We suggest that you act in accordance with the virus situation in your area, the steps being taken by local dioceses, and the guidelines from your local and state authorities. We are not mandating that you cease CDA activities, but we ask that you act prudently, especially if you are in a high-risk group. In an effort to contain the virus, many cities and states are recommending social distancing even if the virus has not yet been identified in the area. Authorities are closing schools, and they are mandating that all activities cease for a time to ensure that the virus is contained. If that is the case in your city, we seriously recommend that you comply.
Some of you have been asking about plans for Convention in Dallas in July. At moment, and until further notice, we plan to go full speed ahead with Convention. We have a great Convention planned and are very excited about it. We want to give each of you a wonderful experience of learning, voting, praying and sharing your faith together. But, as is prudent, we will continue monitoring the situation. If circumstances become dire, and we decide that it’s best for everyone’s welfare to cancel the convention, we will do so and let you know right away. For those of you who will have sent in registration, you can expect a full refund, and we will keep you abreast of how we can manage the transition to a new National Regent and National Board in accordance with our Bylaws.
For now, we are moving forward steadily. One factor that gives us hope is the medical opinion that the virus cannot survive, or, at least, will be much less contagious, in warm weather. As I know from experience and my Texas sisters can attest, Dallas gets mighty hot in the summertime. So, the warm weather may be our ally.
This is the situation as it now stands. In the meantime, all of us on the National Board urge you to continue with your Catholic Daughter activities if possible – carefully and safely -- take good care of yourselves and your families, protect one another, stay strong in your faith, and know that we will keep all of you in our prayers.
Olga Samaniego, National Regent